Friday, December 31, 2010

525,600 minutes......

Exactly how does one measure a year?

I like to think it comes down to that age old question, what do you want to be when you grow up? Now for many little boys and girls the answer would range from doctor, to lawyer, to even the winner of American Idol. As adults these dreams shift to the reality of bills, children, and a steady stream of schedules and agendas to be kept. Work becomes just that....work, and each year is measured by how much of it we accomplish.

For me as a child I always wanted to be a superhero. I had dreams of flying around saving the world in a smart leotard type costume that deflected bullets and brought out my eyes. Over Christmas my mother reminisced about how myself and my brother now sister would play Wonder Woman. I informed her that I was always Wonder Woman since I was the oldest, so that meant that Marina got to be Wonder Girl. In response to her consternation I replied "hey it seemed fair to me at the time." I suppose you could say I have spent the better part of my adulthood chasing this dream, as my friends know I was quite fond of creating an "alter ego." But I got my first "big boy" job, as my mother likes to call it, this year and I suppose that would mean childish fantasies should fade to the background right? WRONG

Don't get me wrong this year I worked.....boy did I work. But from my perspective the work I am doing is not that far off from my superhuman aspirations. As a wise person some where once said if you love what you do you will never work a day in your life. I work in an industry where we dispense one of the most powerful super powers out there. That elusive but powerful charm is hope. Now I know people are a little burn out with that whole "hopey changey" thing but remember how you felt at election time. No matter what side of the aisle you were on you had hope. Hope that things would be better in the following years, hope that your children and grand children's future would be secure, hope that the next guy wouldn't be a complete idiot, you had hope and you had it in spades. The secret though.....and you don't have to spend a crap ton in college for this one.....we all have access to this wondrous "super power." It simply boils down to how you choose to see tomorrow, attitude is a choice.

So obviously if you didn't have a great 2010 you are thankful for it's end and hoping for a better future. Well I'm here to tell ya getting hit by a bus is completely random and likely fatal. None of us are promised tomorrow, so perhaps over the next year we should all not only seek, but dispense hope. I challenge myself and all you "Super Friends" out there to channel your inner super hero. Find the beauty and fun in the mundane, post something inspirational on Facebook that has nothing to do with you or your life. Commit a random act of kindness, for example Derek is fond of paying for the order in line behind him at the drive through at Chic-Fila. Anything that fills you and your fellow man with hope, I promise it beats x-ray vision anyday.



DZ

No comments:

Post a Comment